Monday, December 21, 2009

Momma Like: December 2009: Eczema Blaster

 Do you and your kids get the itchy-stratchies this time of year?  In our house, alligator skin creeps in with the cold and doesn't leave until April.  My son's allergy Doc gave me the most obvious and best advice on his eczema - oil moisturizes and lotion or ointments seal.  My trick has been to use California Baby Oil for Sensitive Skin as a first layer and when its really bad, I seal it in with Unpetroleum Jelly or Weleda Baby Calendula Cream (calendula is a great holistic answer to dry, irritated skin).  Many dermatologists recommend Hydroladum or Aquafour, but I don't love using the petroleum products on my kids.  All three products are available at Whole Foods or more conveniently, at Diapers.Com - easy to through in with your diaper order on the fly and when you spend over $49, you get free shipping.  Want to save some money?  I make my own version of the oil by using 1/4 cup of organic Safflower Oil, 1/4 cup of organic canola oil, 4 tablespoons Vitamin E oil and 2 tablespoons of Evening Primrose Oil.  The most effective way to get the oil on your kids is by using a few tablespoons in the bath or spreading it on them in the shower.  If you are not in the mood to have to scrub the bath, just spread it on right after bath, followed by the sealing layer, followed by PJ's to keep it off the sheets.  As with anything, consult your doc and make sure none of the products are ones that your child has allergies or sensitivities to! 

No comments:

Post a Comment